Friday, February 20, 2015

Fancy-pants multiple exposures

Whaaoh. This is pretty neat.


This technique is called multiple/double exposure photography. You can either do it on the camera, or you can do it in Photoshop, like me.

The basic principle of multiple exposure is to open the shutter several times. Like taking two photos, without rolling the film to the next frame. The easiest way of achieving pretty results is to make sure one photo has a huge range of contrast, or is completely black and white. I think most expensive modern DSLRs have a feature for making multiple exposure photos. My Canon 450D doesn't, so I put the images together on the PC instead. Which is easy.



These are the photos that together made up the final picture. I got the eyes from the archives (I believe I made a blog post about them back when I took those photos.), and I took the silhouette picture today. That was easy, I just stood between the camera and a window. 

I used GIMP to overlap the individual images into one frame. The silhouette is the bottom layer, and the other layers are set to Addition mode. Very simple. If you don't get it, you'll figure it out as you do it. I cropped and cut the eyes a bit, for the inner 2 irises I didn't want the white's to mess up my picture. So on those layers I basically made everything but the irises black, which is the same thing as transparent on an Addition layer. As you can probably tell, I had some fun with the colours.

I was quite heavy with the sharpening filters, so up close and zoomed in, some parts of the picture are very grainy. What a shame.



This one hasn't been modified a lot. The layers were cropped and placed, and that's it. I really like the colours. One of the pictures used is a macro of a somewhat miserable candle. The other is my dirty stove. Sometimes, it really doesn't take much to create something really beautiful!


3 pictures.


Awesome! That's it for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to speak your mind!

It's also always more fun if you leave some way for us to identify you.